Determination of plasma Reactive Oxygen Species in young male albino rats after treatment with Gentamicin and Renadyl
The International Journal of Global Sciences (TIJOGS)
Kanwal Zahra1, Sohaib Aslam2, Hamza Nazeer1, Umair Rasool1, Muhammad Umair3, Ghazia Zahid4, Arslan4
1Institute of Pharmacy, Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan
2Department of Theriogenology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan
3Department of Parasitology, University of Agriculture Faisalabad, Pakistan
4Center of Agricultural Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.*Corresponding author’s email: email@example.com
|May 13,2019||Aug 28,2019||Sep 02,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 3
Kidney is important organ for controlling blood pressure and hypertension due to elevated level of salts. Gentamicin is aminoglycoside which is used for treatment of gram negative bacterial infection. Gentamicin is considered as nephrotoxic agent and cause cell death due to inflammation, free radical and renal blood flow. Renadyl is probiotic dietry supplement used in patient with chronic kidney disease. Experimental study had been conducted that Gentamicin was used for altering the kidney and Renadyl used for treatment of altered kidney. Thirty healthy male albino rats were divided into three (3) groups. Two groups were treated and one was controled. Equally divided ten (10) rats in each group. Gentamicin was given to rats intraperitoneally from 1st to 8th days for altering the kidney and 3rd group was treated by Renadyl orally from 9th to 18th days interval at regular basis for treatment. Blood sample was drawn out after administration of drug at 8th and 18th day and used for determination of total antioxidant, total oxidant status, glutathione reductase, glutathione peroxidase, catalase, arylestrase, and paraoxonase. All the required parameter was increased except total oxidant status (TOS), its level was decreased in the treated rats. The data was examined statistically by two way analysis of variance and
- Acharya C, Thakar H and Vajpeyee SK, 2013. A study of oxidative stress in gentamicin induce nephrotoxicity and effects of antioxidant vitamin C in wistar rat. National Journal Physiology, Pharmacy Pharmacology 3: 14-20.
- Adil M, Kandhare AD, Dalvi G et al, 2016. Ameliorative effect of berberine against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats via attenuation of oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis and mitochondrial dysfunction. Ren Fail, 38:996-1006.
- Alarifi S, Doaiss AA, Alkahtani S, et al., 2011. Blood chemical changes and renal histological alterations induced by gentamicin in rats. Saudi Journal Biological Sciences 19: 103–110.
- Azeloglu EU, Hardy SV, Eungdamrong NJ, et al., 2014. Interconnected network motifs control podocytes morphology and kidney function. Sci Signal 7:1-31.
- Balakumar P, Rohilla A and Thangathirupathi A, 2010. Gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity: Do we have a promising therapeutic approach to blunt it? Pharmacological Research 62: 179–186.
- Chade RA, Porcel MA, Grande JP et al., 2002. Distinct renal injury in early atherosclerosis and renovascular disease. Circul, 106:1165–1171.
- Harris RC, McKanna JA, Akai Y, et al., 1994. Cyclooxygenase-2 is associated with the macula densa of rat kidney and increases with salt restriction. The Journal ClinicalInvestigation 94: 2504-2510.
- Jefferson JA, Thurman and Schrier RW, 2010. Pathophysiology and Etiology of Acute Kidney Injury. Compreh Clin Nephrol, 797-812.
- Kandemir FM, Ozkaraca M, Yildirim BA, et al., 2015. Rutin attenuates gentamicin-
- induced renal damage by reducing oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis, and autophagy in rats. Renal Failure 37: 518–525.
- Karahan I, Atessahin A, Yilmaz S, et al., 2005. Protective effect of lycopene on gentamicin-induced oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity in rats. Toxicology 215:198–204.
- Mccampbell KK, Springer KN and Wingert RA, 2014. Analysis of nephron composition and function in adult zebrafish kidney. Journal Visualized Experiments 90: 2-17.
- Mehan S, Dudi R and Kalra S et al., 2017. Renoprotective effect of corosolic acid in gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity and renal dysfunctioning in experimental rats. Ann Pharmacol Pharm 2: 1-13.
- Meky NH, Heibashy MI, Mahmoud OM, et al., 2016. The effect of L–carnitine on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and associated anemia in adult male albino rats. International ournal of Advanced Research 4: 857-870.
- Naughton CA, 2008. Drug-Induced Nephrotoxicity. Am Fam Physician,78:743-750.
- Noeman SA, Hamooda HE, and Baalash AA, 2011. Biochemical study of oxidative stress markers in the liver, kidney and heart of high fat diet induced obesity in rats. Diabetol Metab Syndr, 3:1–17.
- Ozbek E, 2012. Induction of Oxidative Stress in Kidney. Internl J Nephrol, 1-9.
- Palipoch S. 2013. A Review of oxidative stress in acute kidney injury: Protective role of medicinal plants-derived antioxidants. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med, 10: 88–93
- Percy CJ, Power D, and Gobe GC, 2008. Renal ageing: changes in the cellular mechanism of energy metabolism and oxidant handling. Nephrol, 13:147–152.
- Randjelovic P, Veljkovic S, Stojiljkovic N, et al., 2012. Salicylic acid attenuates gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. The Scientific World Journal 1-6.
- Romero F, Perez M, Chavez M, et al., 2009. Effect on uric acid on gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rats- role of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9. Basic Clinical Pharmacology Toxicology 105:416–424.
- Teslariu O, Pasca AO, Tartau LM, et al., 2016. The protective effect of zinc in experimental gentamicin induced acute renal failure in rats. Journal Physiology Pharmacology. 67:751-757. Toxicol, 245:182-193.
- Wanga Z, Sun Q, Sun N, et al., 2017. Mitochondrial dysfunctioning and altered renal metabolism in dahl salt-sensitive rats. Kidney Blood Pressure Research 42: 587- 597.