Effect of Different Common Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Planting Densities on Weed Control in Intercropping System with Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) Varieties at Hawassa, Southern Ethiopia
The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
Dejene Tadesse Banjaw1*, Mohamed Worku Adem2, Belstie Lulie1
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Jul 18,2018||Jan 29,2019||Feb 11,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 1
The experiment was conducted to determine best common bean planting density for better weed control in intercropping with two roselle varieties at Hawassa, southern Ethiopia. It was arranged in a 2x4 factorial with RCBD design in three replications. The treatment of the experiment was 10: (sole cropping of the roselle varieties, and combination of 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% common bean planting densities with the two roselle varieties). Visual weed infestation rating (scale1-6), weed density and dry aboveground weed biomass were collected used for analysis and all were subjected to analysis of variance using SAS software version 9.3. Differences between means were assessed using Duncan`s Multiple Range Test at 5% probability level. Results of the experiment showed that the interaction between the main factors (roselle variety and common bean planting density) were nonsignificant for all parameters. Common bean planting density and cropping system significantly affected weed infestation. The highest values for visual estimate weed ground coverage, weed density, and weed dry biomass were recorded for 25% common bean planting density (2, 15.43 plant/m2, and 13.34g/m2 respectively) and for sole roselle cropping (2.5, 17.21 plant/m2, and 15.61g/m2 respectively). Increases in common bean planting densities showed decreasing trends in weed infestation. Therefore, intercropping roselle with 100% common bean planting density was recommended for better weed control for growers in the study areas as well as similar agroecologies.
Keywords: Intercropping, weed infestation,
- Chipomho, J., Mapope, N., Masuka, B., Ngezimana, W. and Chipomho, C., 2015. The influence of cropping systems and maize-bean intercrop spatial patterns on companion crop yield, weed density and biomass. International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences. 8(5): 697-705.
- Dessie, G. and Kleman, J., 2007. Pattern and deforestation in the South Central Rift Valley Region of Ethiopia. Mountain Research and Development. 27(2): 162-168.
- Gomes, J.K.O., Silva, P.S.L., Silva, K.M.B., Rodriguez, F.F. Santos, V.G. 2007. Effects of weed control through cowpea intercropping on maize morphology and yield. Planta Daninha,Viçosa-MG. 25(3):433-441.
- Khan, M.A., Marwat, K.B., Umm-E-Kulsoom, Hussain, Z., Hashim, S., Rab, A., and Nawab, A.K., 2013. Weed control effects on the wheat-pea intercropping. Journal of Pakistan Botany. 45(5):1743-1748.
- Memon, R.A., Bhatti, G. R., Khalid, S., Mallah, A. and Ahmed, S.,2013. Illustrated weed flora of wheat crop of Khairpur district, Sindh. Pak. J. Bot., 45(1): 39-47.
- Odhiambo, G.D. and Ariga, E.S., 2001. Effect of intercropping maize and beans on striga incidence and grain yield. pp.183-186. Proceedings of the Seventh Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Maize Conference, 11-15 February 2001. pp183-186.
- Orluchukwu, J.A. and Udensi, U.E., 2013. The effect of intercropping pattern of okra, maize, pepper on weeds infestations and okra yield. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 8(10): 896-902.
- Prasad, R.D., Singh, R., Prasad, R.P. and Kumar, S., 2015. Influence of intercropping and weed control methods on growth and yield of maize (Zea mays L.). Research in Environmental and Life Science. 8(1): 37-40.
- Santos, J.C.F., da Cunha, A.J. and da Melo, B., 2014. Soil cover and weed control on coffee intercropping perennial legumes. International Journal of Applied Science and Technology.4(4): 149-157.
- Shah, S. N., Shroff J. C., Patel, R. H. & Usadadiya, V. P., 2011. Influence of intercropping and weed management practices on weed and yields of maize. International Journal of Science and Nature. 2(1): 47-50.
- Subramanian, S., Ali, A.M., Kumar, R.J., 1991. All about weed control. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi – 110002, India. 315p
- Temesgen, J., Kufa, T. & Wondimu, Z., 2015. Effect of Plant Density of Hybrid Maize and Common Bean Varieties on the Productivity of Intercropping System at Jimma, South West Ethiopia. Global Journal of Life Science and Biological Research. 1(1): 9-19.
- Yadollahi, P., Abad, A.R.B., Khaje, M., Asgharipour, M.R. and Amiri, A., 2014. Effect of intercropping on weed control in sustainable agriculture. International Journal of Agriculture and Crop Sciences. 7(10): 683.