The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
M. Adnan Sadique1, M. Umer Farooq1, Asad Shehzaib2, Dawood Shaukat2, Shafiq Ahmad3, Ayaz Ahmad3,
Riaz Ahmad1, Noman Ahmad Khan2, M. Nawaz Munir2
1Department of Horticulture, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan
2Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
3Department of Agronomy, Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Pakistan*Corresponding author’s email: email@example.com
|Sep 02,2019||Nov 01,2019||Nov 04,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 3
Strawberry (Fragaria ananasa), belongs to Rosaceae family, rich in vitamins and minerals. Its growth and development in pots mainly depends on physiochemical properties of the growing media. This research work was conducted to evaluate the effect of various media and NPK fertilizer application on growth of strawberry. The media used was soil, soil+peat moss and peat moss. Foliar application of NPK at weekly interval was done with 4ppm, 6ppm and 8ppm. The research was performed under CRD design with three replications. The results showed that strawberry plant performed better response towards peat moss with 6 and 8 ppm foliar application of NPK. Chlorophyll content was maximum (19.6) at 8ppm while, at vegetative stage it was (23.69) with 6ppm foliar application. Maximum Number of fruits were obtained in soil. Fruit weight leaf area and total soluble salts were recorded in peat moss with 8 and 6 ppm foliar application of NPK. So, plants grown in peat moss growing media showed significant increase in all parameters.
- Ajwa, H. A., and T. Trout. 2004. Drip application of alternative fumigants to methylbromide for strawberry production. HortScience 39:1707-1715.
- Cantliffe, D., J. Castellanos, J., Z. Paranjpe, A. V. 2007. Yield and quality of greenhouse-grown strawberries as affected by nitrogen level in coco coir and pine mark media. Proc. Fla. St. HorticSoc.120:157−161.
- Hancock, J., F.1999.Strawberries crop production science in horticulture. CABI, Publishing, Oxon,Uk.p. 109-112.
- Hakkinen, S., H. and A.R. Torronen. 2000. Content of flavonols and selected phenolic acids in strawberries and Vaccinium species influence of cultivar, cultivation site and technique. Food Res. Int. 33: 517-524.
- Hargreaves, J., C. Adl, M., S. Warman, P., R. Vasanta Rupasinghe, H., P. 2008.The effects of organic and conventional nutrient amendments on strawberry cultivation fruit yield and quality. J. Sci. Food Agric. 88: 2669−2675.
- Khushk, A., M. and A. Memon. 2005.Strawberry cultivation. The Dawn. p. 1-5.
- Milosevic, T. 1997. Special topics in fruit growing. Faculty of agronomy and community for fruits and vegetables. Cacek-Belgrade. P. 353-384.
- Masny, A., Basak, A and Zurawich, E. 2004. Effect of foliar application of Kelpak SL and Goemar BM 86 preparation on yield and fruit quality in two strawberry cultivars. Journal of fruit and Ornamental Plant Research.12: 23-27.
- Miles, J. Peet, M. 2002. Maintaining Nutrient Balances in SystemsUtilizing Soluble Organic Fertilizers Organic Farming Research Foundation Project Report; Santa Cruz, CA, USA, pp 00−23.
- Pang, X. P., Letey, J. 2000.Organic farming: challenge of timing nitrogen availability to crop nitrogen requirements. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J.64: 247−253.
- Swietlik, D. and Faust, M. 1984.Foliar nutrition of fruit crops. Hort. Reviews. 6: 287-356.
- Sommer, S. G., Hutchings, N., J. 2001. Ammonia emission from field applied manure and its reduaction−invited paper. Eur. J. Agron.15: 1−15.
- Sharma R.R. 2004. Growing strawberry. Int. Book Distributing Co., Indian. 1: 01-02.
- Smith, B. (1993). Organic foods vs supermarket food: Element levels. Journal of Applied Nutrition. 45: 35–39.
- Tagliavini M., Baldi E., Nestby R, Ryanal-Lacroix C., Lieten P., Salo T., Pivot D., Lucchi P.L., Baruzzi G. and Faedi W. 2004. Uptake and partitioning of major nutrients by strawberry plants. Acta Hort. 649:(2) 197-200.
- Wang, S., Y. Lin, S. 2002.Compost as soil supplement enhanced plant growth and fruit quality of strawberry. J. Plant Nutr. 25: 2243−2259.
- Wozniak W, Radajewska B, Reszelska-Sieciechowicz A, Dejwor .1997. Sugars and acid content influence organoleptic evaluation offruits of ix strawberry cultivars from controlled cultivation. Acta Hort.,439: 333-336.