Effect of Spacing & Potassium Application on Growth and Yield of Radish Raphanus Sativus Cv Mino Early
The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
R.K. Chhetri1*, R. Panta1 * and R.K. Shrestha2
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
|Sep 08,2018||Jan 23,2019||Feb 07,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 1
Optimum use of potassium (K) fertilizer and proper plant geometry can be effective way to increase radish productivity. A field experiment was conducted at Horticulture farm of IAAS, Lamjung Campus, Nepal during October-December, 2017 to study the effect of K and spacing on growth and yield of radish cv Mino Early. Three replications of five levels of K (0, 20, 30, 40 and 50 kg ha-1) and three levels of spacing (20 cm x 10cm, 20cm x 20 cm and 20cm x 30 cm) were laid out in randomized complete block design. We found highly significant effect of spacing and K on yield and its attributes. Maximum number of leaves, shoot weight, shoot per plot, root length, root girth, root weight and root yield (48.01 ton) was obtained with application of 50kg K2O ha-1 whereas minimum value was obtained with control for all parameters. K level from 20-50 kgha-1 resulted similar yield attributes and yield. In case of spacing, 20cm x 30 cm produced maximum number of leaves, shoot weight, shoot per plot, root length and root girth but root yield was minimum. 20cm x 20 cm spacing resulted maximum root yield (50.94 ton ha-1). Interaction effect of spacing and potassium was found to be significant for none of the parameters. These results suggested that total root yield can be increased by planting radish at spacing of 20cm x 20cm and of 20 kg K2O ha-1 might be economic to use but further research with same levels of K and spacing is suggested.
Keywords: Girth, Interaction, Potassium, Radish, Spacing
- Abou EI-Nasr, M.E. and E. A. Ibrahim. 2007. Effect of different potassium fertilizers rates and foliar application with some sources of potassium on growth, yield and quality of carrot plants (Daucus carota).Veget. Res. Dept. Hort. Res. Inst., Agric. Res. Center, Giza, Egypt.
- Ali, M. A., M. A. Hossain, M. F. Mondal and A. M. Farooque.2003. Effect of nitrogen and potassium on yield and quality of carrot. Pak. J. Biol. Sci., 6 (18): 1574-1577.
- Khan A., I.U. Jan, M. Ali, M.M. Jahangir, W. Karim, A. A. Khan, M. U. and M. Z. Rafique. 2016. Effect of different plant spacing on the performance of radish in the agro-climatic conditions of Swabi. Pure and Applied Biology, 5(4):120-1125.
- Mahadevhai, D. A. 2007. Effect of spacing and potassium fertilizer on growth and yield of radish (Raphanus sativus L.) cv. Pusa chetki. Thesis, Bsc. Agri. College of Agriculture,Junagadh Agricultural University, Junagadh.
- Nepal Ministry of Agricultural Development. 2016. Statistical information on Nepalese agriculture 2072-73 (2015-16). pp 84-91
- Pervez, M.A., C.M. Ayub, B. A. Saleem, N. A. Virk and N. Mahood. 2004. International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 6(3):504-506
- Sharma, U.G., N.J. Vihol and J.C. Chavda. 2013. Influence of plant density and nutrient management on growth, yield and quality of radish (Raphanus sativus) cv. Pusa Chetki. The Asian Journal of Horticulture, 8(2):.671-676.
- Shrestha, M.M. and S.M.Shakya. 2004. Response of radish crop var. fourty days to transplanting age and detopping in respect to seed yield. In: Proceedings of the fourth national workshop on horticulture, March 2-4, 2004. Eds. B.B.Khatri, B.P.Sharma, P.P.Khatiwada, K.P. Paudyal, B.R. Khadge and H.N.Regmi. Khumaltar, Nepal Agricultural Research Council, pp. 377-379.
- Thompson, H.C. and Kelly, W.C. 1957. Vegetable crops. McGraw Hill Book Co., New York, pp. 327-335