The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
Muhammad Sheraz Rasheed1, Rabail Afzal1*, H. M. Umair Waqas1, Sana Zia1, Azka Muneer1, Abdul Manan1, Uzma Fatima Soomro1, Jawaria Johar1*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Sep 04,2018||Jan 23,2019||Jan 30,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 1
Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) has vital role in economy of Pakistan. In the present study GCA effects of parents and SCA effects of crosses were estimated by using line × tester analysis. Four lines i.e. FH-312, CRS-2007, MNH-998, FH-2015 and four testers MS-71, NS-131, IUB-65, FH-114 were crossed to develop 16 F1 hybrids. The parents along with their hybrids were evaluated in RCBD in two replications in the field during 2017-2018. The GCA and SCA mean squares for plant height, number of monopodial branches, number of bolls per plant, boll weight, lint percentage, lint index, seed index, fibre length, fibre strength and fibre fineness were significant. Among lines FH-2015, MNH-998 and CRS- 2007 whereas among testers NS-131, IUB-65 and FH-114 were proved to be good general combiners for most of the characters. These parents suggested to be used in future programs for isolating the desirable traits. Among crosses CRS-2007 × NS-131, MNH-998 × IUB-65, FH-2015 × MS-71, CRS-2007 × FH-114, FH-2015 × FH-114 were proved to be best specific combiners for most of the characters.
- Ali, I., A. Shakeel, A. Saeed, W. Nazeer, Z.U. Zia, S. Ahmad, K. Mahmood and W. Malik. 2016. Combining ability analysis and heterotic studies for within-boll yield components and fibre quality in cotton. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 26: 156-162.
- Ali, M.A. and S.I. Awan. 2009. Inheritance pattern of seed and lint traits in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). Int. J. Agric. Biol. 11: 44-48.
- Azhar, F.M. and M. Naeem. 2008. Assessment of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) germplasm for combining abilities in fiber traits. J. Agri. Soc. Sci. 4: 129-131.
- Bajracharya, J., K. Steele, D. Jarvis, B. Sthapit and J. Witcombe. 2006. Rice landrace diversity in Nepal: Variability of agro-morphological traits and SSR markers in landraces from a high-altitude site. Field Crop. Res. 95: 327-335.
- Dinakaran, E., S. Thirumeni and K. Paramasivam. 2012. Yield and fibre quality components analysis in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) under salinity. Ann. Biol. Res. 3: 3910- 3915.
- Esmail, R.M., J.F. Zhang and A.M. Abdel-Hamid. 2008. Genetic diversity in elite cotton germplasm lines using field performance and RAPD markers. World J. Agric. Sci. 4: 369- 375.
- Fryxell, P.A. 1992. A revised taxonomic interpretation of Gossypium L. (Malvaceae). Rheedea. 2: 108-116.Gossypium hirsutum cotton. J. Cotton Res. Dev. 25: 162-164.
- Griffing, B. 1956. Concept of general and specific combining ability in relation to diallel crossing systems. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 9: 463-493.
- Hussain, A., F.M. Azhar, M.A. Ali, S. Ahmad and K. Mahmood. 2010. Genetic studies of fiber quality characters in upland cotton. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 20: 234-238.
- Ilyas, M., M. Naveed, T.M. Khan and I.A. Khan. 2007.Combining ability studies in some quantitative and qualitative traits of Gossypium hirsutum L. J. Agric. Soc. Sci. 3: 39-42.
- Kempthorne, O. 1957. An introduction to genetic statistics. John Wiley And Sons, Inc.; New York, USA.
- Pundir, S.R., O. Sangwan, S. Nimbal, R.S. Sangwan, S.S. Siwach, S. Mandhania and J. Ashish. 2017. Heterosis and combining ability for seed cotton yield and its component traits of desi cotton (Gossypium arboreum L.). J. Cotton Res. Dev. 31: 24-28.
- Sawarkar, M., A. Solanke, G.S. Mhasal and S.B. Deshmukh. 2015. Combining ability and heterosis for seed cotton yield, its components and quality traits in Gossypium hirsutum L. Indian J. Agric. Res. 49: 154-159.
- Soomro, A.W., M.A. Keerio, F.I. Khaskheli, M.Z. Ahsan, V. Suthar, A. Keerio and K.A. Soomro. 2015. Combining ability estimates for some quantitative traits in upland cotton. Int. J. Biol. Biotechnol. 12: 111-115.
- Steel, R.G.D., J.H. Torrie and D.A. Dickey. 1997. Principles and procedures of statistics: a biometrical approach. 3rd ed.: McGraw-Hill, New York.Tuteja, O.P., B. Manju and K.S. Nirania. 2011. Heterosis studies on GMS based hybrids in Cotton Res. Dev. 31: 24-28.