The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
Areeba Jahan1, H. M. Umair Waqas1*, M. Waqar Anwar1, H.M. Waseem2, Ali Imran1, M. Hadi Abbas3, Hafiza Hadiqa Anum3
*Corresponding author: email@example.com
|Sep 20,2018||Feb 23,2019||Mar 10,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 1
It is necessary to understand gene action, heritability and correlation of agronomic traits for the development of high yielding cultivar with good fibre quality. Correlation revealed that that plant height was positively correlated with monopodial branches, sympodial branches, number of bolls/plant, fibre length, fibre strength and lint percentage while negatively correlated with fibre fineness. Monopodial branches had positive association with plant height, number of bolls/plant, number of seeds/boll and lint percentage while it was negatively associated with number of sympodial branches and fibre fineness. Sympodial branches/plant were positively associated with plant height, seed cotton yield and lint weight while negatively correlated with monopodial branches/plant. Number of bolls/plant had a positive association with plant height, monopodial branches/plant, fibre length, fibre strength and lint weight. Negative association exhibited by number of bolls/plant with fibre fineness. Number of seeds/boll was positively associated with fibre fineness, seed cotton yield, lint percentage and lint weight. Fibre length had a positive association with plant height, number of seed/boll, seed cotton yield, lint percentage and lint weight while negatively correlated with fibre fineness. Fibre fineness had a positive association with number of seed/bolls, seed cotton yield and lint weight while negatively associated with plant height, number of monopodial branches/plant, number of bolls/plant, fibre length and fibre strength. Fibre strength was positively associated with plant height, number of bolls/plant, lint weight and lint percentage while it was negatively correlated with fibre fineness. Seed cotton yield had a positive association with sympodial branches/plant, seeds/boll, fibre length, fibre fineness, lint percentage and lint weight. Lint percentage had a positive association with plant height, number of seed/bolls, fibre length, fibre strength, seed cotton yield and lint weight. Lint weight per plant was positively correlated with sympodial branches/plant, seed /boll, fibre length, fibre strength, fibre fineness, seed cotton yield and lint percentage. All these characters mainly controlled by over-dominance, dominance, partial dominance and additive type of gene action. Estimation of broad sense heritability were in range of 21.43%-97.43% for all the yield and fibre related traits.
Key words: cotton, correlation, heritability, gene action
- Abbas, H.G., A. Mahmood, Q. Ali, M.A. Khan, W. Nazeer, T. Aslam and W. Zahid. 2013. Genetic variability, heritability, genetic advance and correlation studies in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Int. Res. J. Microbiol. 4: 156-161.
- Ali, I., A. Shakeel, A. Saeed, M. Hussain, A. Irshad, M. Tariq, Z.U.Z. Mahmood, W. Malik, M.K. Aziz and M.A. Hussain. 2016. The most basic selection criteria for improving yield and quality of upland cotton. Turk. J. Field Crops. 21: 261-268.
- Ali, M.A. and I.A. Khan. 2007. Assessment of genetic variation and inheritance mode in some metric traits of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). J. Agric. Social Sci. 3: 112-116.
- Ali, M.A., A. Abbas, M. Younas, T.M. Khan and H.M. Hassan. 2009. Genetic basis of some quantitative traits in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutm L.). Plant Omics. 2: 91-94.
- Anonymous. 2017-18. Pakistan economic survey, economic adviser’s wing, finance division, government of Pakistan, Islamabad.
- Arshad, M., M. Hanif, N. Ilahi and S.M. Shah. 1993. Correlation studies on some commercial cotton varieties of G. hirsutum L. Sarhad J. Agri. 9: 49-53.
- Azhar, F.M. and S.U.K. Ajmal. 1999. Diallel analysis of oil content in seed of Gossypium hirsutum L. J. Genet. Breed. 3: 56-61.
- Baloch, M., A.W. Baloch, M.K. Baloch, I.A. Mallano, A.M. Baloch, N.J. Baloch and S. Abro. 2015. Association and heritability analysis for yield and fiber traits in promising genotypes of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Sindh Uni. Res. J. 47: 303-306.
- Batool, S., N.U. Khan, K. Makhdoom, Z. Bibi, G. Hassan, K.B. Marwat, M.F. Farhatullah and K.I.A. Raziuddin. 2010. Heritability and genetic potential of upland cotton genotypes for morpho-yield traits. Pak. J. Bot. 42: 1057-1064.
- Chao-Zhu, X., Y. Shun-Xun, G. Li-Ping, M. Cheng-Duo, F. Wen-Juan, W. Hai-Lin and Z. Yun-Lei. 2007. Heterosis performance and correlation analysis on economic traits of upland cotton in different ecological environments. Cotton Sci. 19: 3-7.
- Cramer, C.S. and T.C. Wehner. 2000. Path analysis of the correlation between fruit number and plant traits of cucumber populations. Hort. Sci. 35: 708-711.
- Desalegn, Z., N. Ratanadilok and R. Kaveeta. 2009. Correlation and heritability for yield and fiber quality parameters of Ethiopian cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) estimated from 15 (diallel) crosses. Kasetsart J. 43: 1-11.
- Dewey, D.R. and K.H. Lu. 1959. A correlation and path-coefficient analysis of components of crested wheatgrass seed production. Agron. J. 51: 515-518.
- Hussain, S.S., F.M. Azhar and M. Sadiq. 2000. Association of yield with various economic characters in Gossypium hirsutum L. Pakistan J. Biol. Sci. 3: 1237-1238.
- Khan, M., G.N. Ahmad and M. Saleem. 1980. Association of various characteristics in parents and hybrids of Gossypium hirsutum L.[cotton]. Pak. Cottons. 4: 12-18.
- Killi, F., L. Efe and S. Mustafayev. 2005. Genetic and environmental variability in yield, yield components and lint quality traits of cotton. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 6: 1007-1010.
- Kumar, K.S., K. Ashokkumar, R. Ravikesavan and K. Ashokkumar. 2017. Diallel analysis and heterotic effects for yield and fibre quality traits in upland cotton. Indian J. Agric. Sci. 6: 976-997.
- Majeedano, M.S., M.Z. Ahsan, A.W. Soomro, F.A. Panhwar and A.R. Channa. 2014. Heritability and correlations estimates for some yield traits of (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Am. Res. Thoughts. 1: 781-790.
- Malagouda, P., B.M. Khadi, B. K. and I.S. Katageri. 2014. Genetic variability and correlation analysis for fibre quality traits in diploid cotton (Gossypium spp). American-Eurasian J. Agric. Environ. Sci. 14: 392-395.
- Memon, S., A.W.B.N. Gandahi, T.A. Yasir, S.M. Sarki, A. Wasaya, I.A. Mallano, M. Ali, A.M. Baloch and A.S. Khetran. 2017. Evaluation of genetic divergence, character associations and path analysis in upland cotton genotypes. Pure Appl. Biol. 6: 1516-1521.
- Ping, L.J., M.Y. Jun, Z.L. Li, H.S. Lin, G.W. Feng and X.R. Cinpek. 2005. Analysis of heredity and correlation between boll traits and fibre quality traits in "0" plant type island cotton. Acta Agronomica Sinica. 31: 1069-1073.
- Raza, S.A., Y. Ali and F. Mehboob. 2012. Role of agriculture in economic growth of Pakistan. Int. Res. J. Finance Econ. 83: 180-186.
- Sarwar, G., M. Baber, N. Hussain, I.A. Khan, M. Naeem and A.A. Khan. 2011. Genetic dissection of yield and its components in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Afr J. Agric. Res. 6: 2527-2531.
- Steel, R.G.D., J.H. Torrie and D.A. Dickey. 1997. Principles and procedures of statistics: A biometrical approach. 3rd ed.: McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Tang, F. and W. Xiao. 2014. Genetic association of within‐boll yield components and boll morphological traits with fibre properties in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Plant Breed. 133: 521-529.
- Thiyagu, K., N. Nadarajan, S. Rajarathinam, D. Sudhakar and K. Rajendran. 2010. Association and path analysis for seed cotton yield improvement in inter-specific crosses of cotton (Gossypium spp). Electron. J. Plant Breed. 1: 1001-1005.
- Ulloa, M. 2005. Heritability and correlations of agronomic and fiber traits in an okra-leaf upland cotton population. Crop Sci. 46: 1508-1514.
- Venkatesh, P. 2012. Heterosis and combining ability in inter-specific cotton hybrids (G. hirsutum L.× G. barbadense L.). Acharya Ng Ranga Agric. Univ.
- Vineela, N., J.S.V. Samba Murthy, P.V. Ramakumar and K.S. Ratna. 2013. Variability studies for physio morphological and yield components traits in American cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L). J. Agric. Vet. Sci. 4: 7-10.
- Wu, J., J.N. Jenkins, J.C. Mccarty and J. Zhu. 2004. Genetic association of yield with its component traits in a recombinant inbred line population of cotton. Euphytica. 140: 171-179.