Prevalence of Different Genetic Traits and their association with gender among the Population of Punjab, Pakistan.
The International Journal of Global Sciences (TIJOGS)
Rabail Afzal1*, Anas Ur Rehman Sheikh1, Aqib Riaz1, Ali Khan1
Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad.
*Corresponding Author: email@example.com
|Jul 04,2019||Jul 25,2019||Sep 01,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 3
The present study was conducted in the province of Punjab, Pakistan to determine the presence of genetically controlled traits like ear lobe, tongue rolling, ABO blood group system, facial dimple, color blindness and hair texture. Sometimes expression of these traits can vary due to the influence of environment like that of facial dimple which are genetically dominant but their presence can also due to chubby cheeks or dysfunctional facial muscle. A total of 1000 individuals were observed randomly comprising of 500 male and 500 female. The presence and expression of these genetic traits was observed as: dominant traits like tongue rolling (66.6%), straight hair type (57.3%), B+ blood group (35.7%) and free earlobe (62.3%) and were more frequently present among the population. While color blindness (97.9%) and facial dimple (77.7%) show recessive nature and were expressed more in recessive form in the population. The association of these traits with gender was also observed. Chi-square test showed association of gender with some of the traits.
Keywords: • Human genetics • Morphogenetic traits • facial dimple • ABO blood group •Tongue rolling
- Bhasin MK and Khanna A (1994) Study of behavioural traits among nine population groups of Jammu and Kashmir. Journal of Human Ecology 5, 131-134
- Vogel F and Motulsky AG (1986) Human Genetics. Problems and approaches, Springer verlag.
- Powell EF, Whitney DD (1937) Ear lobe inheritance: an unusual three generation photographic pedigree chart. Journal of Heredity 28, 184-188.
- Wiener AS (1937) Complications in ear genetics. Journal of Heredity 28, 425-426.
- Hart MV, Veer MV and Loghem, JJ, (1962), Change of Blood Group B in a Case of Leukaemia. Vox Sang 7, 449-453.
- Garratty G, Glynn SA and McEntire R (2004) ABO and Rh(D) phenotype frequencies of different racial/ ethnic groups in the United States. Transfusion 44, 703-706. doi:10.1111/j.1537-2995.2004.03338.x
- Hsu TC (1948) Tongue up folding. Journal of Heredity 39, l87-8.
- Odokuma EI, Eghworo O, Avwioro G, Agbedia U (2008) Tongue Rolling and Tongue Folding Traits in an African Population. International journal of morphology 26(3).
- Suparyadi D, Yusro M and Yuliatmojo P (2019) Color Blindness Test by Ishihara Method Based on Microcontroller System. KnE Social Sciences 3, 462-470.
- Starr B (2009) Ask a Geneticist. Understanding Genetics: Human Health and the Genome 1-3
- Medland SE, Nyholt DR, Painter JN, McEvoy BP, McRae AF, Zhu G, Gordon SD, Ferreira MA, Wright MJ, Henders AK and Campbell MJ (2009) Common variants in the trichohyalin gene are associated with straight hair in Europeans. The American Journal of Human Genetics 85, 750-755.