The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
Shiasta Jabeen1*, Ayesha Liaquat2, Zunaira Anwar2, Sidra hameed1, Tahira Bano4, Muzammel Abbas4,
1Institute of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, University of Lahore, Sargodha Campus, Pakista
2Department of Botany, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
3Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
3Department of Plant Pathology, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.*Corresponding author’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Jul 23,2019||Oct 28,2019||Nov 05,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 4
Salinity is a major abiotic stress in arid and semi-arid regions of the world which reduce plant growth & development and ultimately yield of cash crops. Therefore, a pot experiment was conducted to evaluate the response of two maize genotype to the foliar application of iron sulphate under saline and control conditions in the wire house of the Old Botanical Garden in UAF. Two genotypes were grown in control and saline (0 and 150mM) along with iron sulphate (0 and 100ppm) application. The experiment was performed under CRD with three replications. The data regarded morphological parameters like shoot fresh and dry weight (g), root fresh and dry weight (g), root and shoot length (cm), plant height (cm) number of leaves and leaf area (cm2) were recorded at seedling stage. The negative effects of salinity were found on all recorded parameters. The foliar application of iron sulphate exhibits positive effects under saline conditions.
Key words: Maize, iron sulphate, salinity
- Crane, J., B. Schaffer, Y. Evans, E. Li, W. Montas and C. Li .2007. Effect of foliarly-applied acids and ferrous sulfate on iron nutrition of avocado trees. Proceedings of the VI International Avocado Congress, Vina del Mar, Chile.12-16 Nov.
- Gao, Y., A. W. Duan, X. Q. Qiu, J. S. Sun, J. P. Zhang, H. Liu and H. Z. Wang 2010. Distribution and use efficiency of photosynthetically active radiation in strip intercropping of maize and soybean. J. argon., 102: 1149-1157.
- Gheibi, M.N., M.J. Malakouti. 2004. A handbook of wheat optimized nutrition. 1st ed., Agricultural Training Publication.
- Malakouti, M and M. Tehrani. 2005. Micronutrient role in increasing yield and improving the quality agricultural products. 1st ed. Tarbiat Modarres Press., 46: 1200 - 1250.
- Munns, R .2002. Comparative physiology of salt and water stress. Plant Cell Environ. 28:239-250.
- Parida, AK and A.B Das. 2005. Salt tolerance and salinity effects on plants: A Rev. Ecotoxicol. Environ., 60: 324-349.
- Rodriguez, A.A, R.A. Llicia, R. Cordoba, R. Ortega and E. Taleisnik. 2004. Decreased reactive oxygen species concentration in the elongation zone contributes to the reduction in maize leaf growth under salinity. J. Exp. Bot., 55: 1383-1390.
- Sapkota, D and S. Pokhrel. 2010. Community based maize seed production in the hills and mountains of Nepal: A review. Agronomy Journal of Nepal, 1, 107
- Syed, S. R., M. Sedghi and A. Gholipour . 2009. Effect of population density on yield and yield attributes of maize hybrid Res. J. Biol. Sci., 3: 375-379.