Study of combining ability effects and the contribution of gene action for various plant parameters in Gossypium hirsutum L.
The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
Zafran Khan1*, Ajmal Khan1, Ahmad Khan1, Ata Ur Rehman1, Saheera Tazein1, Nimra Gul1, Faiza Khan1, Fahad Hassan1
*Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Sep 03,2018||Feb 07,2019||Mar 20,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 1
In present research 5×5 complete diallel analysis was performed on five genotypes named via FH-114, FH-207, CRS-456, MNH-992 and Kahkashan for the study of combining ability effects and the contribution of gene action for various plant parameter regarding height of plant, direct and indirect fruit bearing branches, first fruiting branch, yield and its related traits and the collected data for such traits were analyzed by statistical analysis. F. calculated value for the F1s from statistical analysis indicates the maximum variation for all parameter. Results observed from the complete diallel mating design indicate that the collected data for all parameter were enough for Griffing’s approach (1956). Combining ability analysis for all the parameter presented the maximum differences for GCA and SCA effects. Less contribution of the GCA variance determine that the traits such as height of plant, indirect fruit bearing branches, weight of individual boll, seed cotton yield of individual plant, lint index seed index, percentage of lint, number of boll on a single plant and first fruiting branch is governed by non-additive type of gene action because the value of GCA/SCA ratio is less than one which indicates that hybrids are more vigorous for all parameter under study but the greater contribution of GCA variance indicates that the traits such as direct fruit bearing branches are largely controlled by dominant gene action because the value of GCA/SCA is greater than one.
Key words: Cotton, gene action, combining ability
- Ahmad, S., T. M. Khan and A. M. Khan. 2000. Genetic studies of some important quantitative characters in Gossypium hirsutum L. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 2(1-2):121-124.
- Ali, B., M.S. Iqbal, M.K.N. Shah, G. Shabbir and N.M. Cheema. 2011. Genetic analysis for various traits in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L). Pak. J. Agric. Biol. 10: 217-220.
- Amein, M.M.M., M.I. Masri, A.M.R. Abd El-Bary and S.S. Attia. 2013. Combining ability and heterosis for yield and fiber quality traits in cotton (Gossypium barbadense L.). Egypt. J. Plant Breed 17(5): 129 – 141.
- Anisa, L., G. M. Baloch, M. B. Kumbhar and M. Ali, 2005.Combining ability analysis for some economic characters in cotton. Indus Cotton, 2(1): 85-88.
- Azhar, M. T., A.A. Khan. 2005. Combining ability analysis of seed cotton yield and its components in canon (Gossypium hirsutum L.). P. J. S. I. R 48 (5): 358-361.
- Basal, H., O. Canavar, N.U Khan and C.S. Cerit. 2011. Combining ability and heterotic studies through line × tester in local and exotic upland cotton genotypes. Pak. J. Bot. 43(3): 1699-1706.
- Chincanc, V. N., V. U. Kale, D. G. Chandankar, N. B. Chincane and H. D. Sarang. 2002. Studies of combing ability in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) Ann. Plant. Physiol. 16(2): 160-165.
- Hussain, A., F.M. Azhar, M.A. Ali, S. Ahmad and K. Mahmood. 2010. Genetic studies of fiber quality characters in upland cotton. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 20(4): 234-238.
- Imran, M., A. Shakeel, F. Azhar, J. Farooq, M. Saleem, A. Saeed and A. Javaid. 2012. Combining ability analysis for within-boll yield components in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Gene. Mol. Res. 11: 2790-2800.
- Islam, M.K., Md. Akhteruzzaman and Md. Farid Uddin. 2014. Heterosis test and estimation of general and specific combining ability of the crossed cotton genotypes. A. Res. Rep. Cotton Development Board, Ministry of Agriculture, Bangladesh. 83-96.
- Kaliyaperumal, A. 2010. Combining ability estimates for yield and fiber quality traits in line x tester crosses of upland cotton. (Gossypium hirsutum).int. J. Biol. 2.179-183.
- Kiani, K. G., Ali, N. Zadeh, S. K. Kazemit. 0. Alisha. 2007. Combining ability in cotton cultivars for agronomic traits. Int. J. Agric. Bi I. 0(3): 5'1-522.
- Memon, M.J., M.B. Kumbhar, M.J. Rind, M.I. Keerio and S.Memon. 2016. Combining ability estimates for yield and fiber quality parameters in Gossypium Hirsutum L. hybrids. J. B. A. Sci. 12: 53-58.
- Memon, S., P.A. Shar, A.G. Shar, S. Memon, S. Memon, M.A. Memon and A.H. Shar. 2014. Biometrical analysis of some quantitative traits of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L). Int. J. Sci. Environ. 3(6): 2069-2075.
- Murtaza, N. 2005.Study of gene effects for boll number, boll weight, and seed index in cotton. J. Cent. Eur. Agri. 6(3): 255-262.
- Nadeem, K. and F. M. Azhar, 2004. Genetic analysis of seed cotton yield and its components in Gossypium hirsutum L. Int. J. Agri. Biol. 6(5): 865-868.
- Patel, D.H., D.U. Patel and V. Kumar. 2014. Heterosis and combining ability analysis in tetraploid cotton (G.hirsutum L. and G.barbadense L.). Elec. J. Plant Breeding 5(3): 408-414.
- Rauf, S., T.M. Khan and S. Nazir. 2005. Combining ability and heterosis in Gossypium hirsutum L. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 7: 109-113.
- Shakeel, A., S. Ahmad., M. Naeem., H.M.N. Tahir., M.F. Saleem., S. Fred and W. Nazeer. 2012. Evaluation of Gossypium hirsutum L. Genotypes for combining ability studies of yield and quality traits. J. Inst. Sci. Tech. 2: 67-70.
- Shaukat, S.H.A.D.A.B., T.M. Khan, A.M.I.R. Shakeel and S.I.D.D.R.A. Ijaz. 2013. Estimation of best parents and superior cross combinations for yield and fiber quality related traits in upland cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). J. Sci. Tech. Dev.32: 281-284.
- Singh, S., V.V. Singh and A.D. Choudhary. 2010. Combining ability estimates for oil content, yield components and fiber quality traits in cotton (G. hirsutum) using an 8 × 8 diallel mating design. Trop. Subtrop. Agroecosystems 12: 161-166.
- Yong-Jun, M.E.I., Y.E. Zi-Hong, and Li-Li Zhang. 2006. Genetic Analysis for F1 Yield Traits with Conditional Approach in Island Cotton (Gossypium barbadense L.). Acta Genetica Sinica, 33(9): 841-850.