The International Journal of Biological Research (TIJOBR)
Mohsin Bashir1*, Muhammad Asif1, Rashad Waseem Khan Qadri1 and Nazar Faried 2
1 Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan.
2 Department of Horticulture, Muhammad Nawaz Shareef University of Agriculture, Multan, Pakistan.
*Corresponding author’s e-mail: email@example.com
|Feb 19,2019||Jun 21,2019||Jul 02,2019|
2019 / Vol: 2 / Issue: 2
Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) is amongst the world’s most expensive aromatic and medicinal plant, being sensitive and difficult to produce in higher quantities. It has attractive flowers having different colors and varying sizes. Being a potential medicinal crop it has great demand globally but inexpedient cultural practices are some of the bottlenecks in its production. Therefore, a study was conducted to evaluate the influence of different levels of NPK for the growth and quality of saffron. The experiment was executed in shadehouse, Floriculture Research Area, Institute of Horticultural Sciences, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad. Soil based application of NPK in three splits was done, one at planting time and other after 25 and 60 days of sowing. Experiment was laid out according to Randomized Complete Block Design with five treatments, replicated thrice. Varying levels of NPK produce significant effect on number of leaves per plant, number of flowers per plant, flower fresh weight (g), flower dry weight (g) and flower size (cm) etc. Data regarding growth, flowering and corm indices were collected and analyzed statistically according to Fisher’s analysis of variance technique and treatments were computed according to LSD test at 5% level of probability.
Key words: Saffron, NPK, Quality, growth.
- Behnia, M. R. A. Estilai and B. Ehdaie. 1997. Application of fertilizers for increased saffron yield. J. Agro. Sci. 182: 9-15.
- Behzad, S. M. Razavi and M. Mohajeri. 1992. The effect of mineral nutrients (N.P.K.) on saffron production. Acta Hort. 306: 426-430.
- Bhattacharjee, S. K. 1981. Influence of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash fertilization on flowering and corm production in gladiolus. Singapore. J. Pri. Ind., 9: 23-27.
- Emam, V. M. K. Eghbal, M. M. Shekyh, K. N. Khalaj and N. Rohami. 2012. The Effect of Planting Density and Different Nitrogen and Phosphorus Application Rates on Saffron Yield. J. Basic. Appl. Sci. Res. 2:2400-2404,
- Fernandez, H. A. 2004. Biology. biotechnology and biomedicine of saffron, Recent Res. Devel. Plant Sci. 2: 127-159.
- Garcia, E. 1997. Salivating for saffron. Sci. Am. 275: 24-25.
- Grilli Caiola M (2004). Saffron reproductive biology. Acta Hort. 650:25-37.
- Jahan, M. and M. Jahani, 2007. The effect of chemical and organic fertilizers on saffron flowering. Acta Horticulturae (ISHS). 739:81-86.
- Koocheki A, Nassiri M, Behdani MA. 2006. Agronomic Attributes of Saffron Yield at Agro ecosystems. Acta Hort. 739: 24-33.
- Larson, R.A. 1980. Introduction to Floriculture. Academics Press, Inc. New York pp. 209.
- Mahgoub, H.M., A.E. Rawia and H. A. Bedour. 2006. Response of Iris Bulbs Grown in Sandy Soil to Nitrogen and Potassium Fertilization. J. App. Sci. Res. 2: 899-903.
- Mengel, K. and E.A . Kirkby. 1978. Principles of plant nutrition. International Potash Institute, Delay of Iris flower senescence by protease inhibitors. New Phytol., 165: 473-480.
- Miroslava, S. 1962. Effect of Sodium humate on swelling and germination of winter wheat. Biol. Plant. 4:112-118.
- Mukesh, K., T. K. Chattopadhyay and M. Kumar, 2001. Effect of NPK on yield and quality of gladiolus (Gladiolus grandiflorus) cv. Tropic sea. Environ. Ecol., 19: 868-871.
- Naderi Dar Bagh Shahi, M., S.M. Khajeh Bashi, S.A. Bany Taba and S.M. Dehdashti, 2008. Effect of cultivation methods, planting density and depth of planting on the saffron yield and beneficiary duration of the saffron (Crocus sativus L.) farm in the zone of Isfahan (Iran). Seed and Plant, 24: 657-643.
- Negbi, M. B. Dagan., A. Dror and D. Basker. 1989. Growth, flowering, vegetative reproduction and dormancy in the saffron crocus (Crocus Sativus L.) Isr. J. Bot. 38: 95-113.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1980. Statistical Methods (7th Ed.). Ames, lowa: lowa State University Press.
- Plessner O, Ziv M, Negbi M (1990). In vitro corm production in the saffron crocus (Crocus sativus L.). Plant Cell. Tiss. Organ Cult. 20:89-94.
- Steel, R. G. D., J. H. Torrie and D. A. Dickey. 1997. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach, 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York.
- Unal, M. and A. Cavusoglu. 2005. The effect of various nitrogen fertilizers on saffron (Crocus sativus L.) yield. Akdeniz Üniv. Ziraat Fak. Dergisi, 18:257-260.
- Vurdu, N., S. Allahverdiev and H.Vurdu 1997. The Effect of the Hormones on the Growth of Saffron. Kastamonu Ed. J. 4:85-89.